Pathogenicity: Alzheimer's Disease : Not Classified
Clinical Phenotype: Alzheimer's Disease
Reference Assembly: GRCh37/hg19
Position: Chr14:73659546 T>G
dbSNP ID: NA
Mutation Type: Point, Missense
Codon Change: CTC to CGC
Reference Isoform: PSEN1 Isoform 1 (467 aa)
Genomic Region: Exon 7
This mutation was found in a man who presented with AD symptoms at age 54, with no known family history of the disease. It was absent from the gnomAD variant database (gnomAD v2.1.1, July 2021).
Although neuropathology findings are unavailable, the patient showed atrophy in the lateral fissure and, to a lesser extent, in parietofrontal regions as assessed by neuroimaging.
Several in silico algorithms (SIFT, Polyphen-2, LRT, MutationTaster, MutationAssessor, FATHMM, PROVEAN, CADD, REVEL, and Reve in the VarCards database) predicted this variant is damaging (Xiao et al., 2021).
Last Updated: 11 Sep 2021
- Bai XC, Yan C, Yang G, Lu P, Ma D, Sun L, Zhou R, Scheres SH, Shi Y. An atomic structure of human γ-secretase. Nature. 2015 Sep 10;525(7568):212-7. Epub 2015 Aug 17 PubMed.
- Sun L, Zhou R, Yang G, Shi Y. Analysis of 138 pathogenic mutations in presenilin-1 on the in vitro production of Aβ42 and Aβ40 peptides by γ-secretase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017 Jan 24;114(4):E476-E485. Epub 2016 Dec 5 PubMed.
- Xiao X, Liu H, Liu X, Zhang W, Zhang S, Jiao B. APP, PSEN1, and PSEN2 Variants in Alzheimer's Disease: Systematic Re-evaluation According to ACMG Guidelines. Front Aging Neurosci. 2021;13:695808. Epub 2021 Jun 18 PubMed.
No Available Further Reading
- Clarimón J, Guerreiro R, Lleó A, Guardia C, Blesa F, Gómez-Isla T, Boada M, Bullido MJ, Ferrer I, Martínez-Lage P, Masdeu J, Molina L, Molinuevo JL, Pastor P, Pérez-Tur J, Rey MJ, Sánchez-Valle R, Tàrraga L, Valdivieso F, Singleton A, Hardy J. Genetic screening in a large cohort of early-onset Alzheimer's disease patients from Spain: novel mutations in the amyloid precursor protein and presenilines. Alzheimers Demen. 2008 Jul;4(4 Suppl):T583.
- Guerreiro RJ, Baquero M, Blesa R, Boada M, Brás JM, Bullido MJ, Calado A, Crook R, Ferreira C, Frank A, Gómez-Isla T, Hernández I, Lleó A, Machado A, Martínez-Lage P, Masdeu J, Molina-Porcel L, Molinuevo JL, Pastor P, Pérez-Tur J, Relvas R, Oliveira CR, Ribeiro MH, Rogaeva E, Sa A, Samaranch L, Sánchez-Valle R, Santana I, Tàrraga L, Valdivieso F, Singleton A, Hardy J, Clarimón J. Genetic screening of Alzheimer's disease genes in Iberian and African samples yields novel mutations in presenilins and APP. Neurobiol Aging. 2010 May;31(5):725-31. Epub 2008 Jul 30 PubMed.
Other mutations at this position
Disclaimer: Alzforum does not provide medical advice. The Content is for informational, educational, research and reference purposes only and is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek advice from a qualified physician or health care professional about any medical concern, and do not disregard professional medical advice because of anything you may read on Alzforum.