Research Technician – Metabolomics Core
Posted 04 Jun 2019
Van Andel Institute
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Apply at http://bit.ly/VARIMetabolomics. Applications should include:
- A cover letter describing your research experience and a time you took a novel approach to solve a problem.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of two to three individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
Please contact Megan Doerr (email@example.com) for further information or questions, or if you have any difficulty with the application process.
Van Andel Research Institute has recently established a Metabolic and Nutritional Programming group in the Center for Cancer & Cell Biology, with the goal of improving health through prediction, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. Integral to this is the new Metabolomics Core facility that uses state-of-the-art instrumentation to deliver leading edge metabolite profiling and stable isotope tracer analysis to VARI investigators. The research technician in the Metabolomics Core will work on research projects in the following areas:
- Cancer biology
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
Candidates for this positions would be excellent fits if:
- Conducting state-of-the-art mass spectrometry analysis excites you.
- You desire a deeper understanding of metabolism in biology.
- You enjoy working on multiple projects covering a range of disciplines.
- You can follow standard operating procedures with high precision and reproducibility, but are always seeking new ways to improve them.
- You are curious, not afraid to try new techniques, and think “outside-the-box” to solve problems.
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, or related discipline.
- Demonstrable written and oral communication skills.
It is highly preferred to have:
- Two (2) years’ experience in a research laboratory, especially with direct experience in HPLC, LC/MS and/or GC/MS
Additional helpful skills and/or abilities include:
- A strong work ethic and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as an active member of an integrated team.
- Ability to take direction from group leader.
- Ability to write and adhere to standard operating procedures.