Posted 09 Jul 2020
Columbia University Irving Medical Center
New York, New York
The Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer’s disease and the Aging Brain is seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the laboratory of Dr. Abid Hussaini. The lab is focused on understanding the neurobiological underpinnings of Alzheimer’s disease. Research involves studying the neuronal population in the brain that are affected by amyloid beta (Aβ) and tau pathology leading to cognitive deficits. We utilize several lines of transgenic mouse models of Alzheimer’s disease to achieve our aims and routinely employ in vivo electrophysiology, behavioral testing and chemogenetics in our research. The lab is newly funded with NIH and foundation (including Alzheimer's association) grants and the position will be supported for up to 4 years. The qualified candidate will be self-motivated, organized and able to work both independently and as part of a research team. Successful candidate will work on an independent project developing tools for in vivo electrophysiology/optogenetic experiments combined with virtual reality behavior testing in mice and analyzing large-scale extracellular single-unit, LFP and behavioral data.
- Develop hardware tools for electrophysiology, optogenetic and behavior experiments.
- Analyze large-scale data pertaining to in vivo electrophysiology and behavior data.
- Develop and maintain MATLAB, Python and C++ software and code for experiments.
- Work with collaborators to incorporate machine learning algorithms into analysis.
- Present findings at meetings/conferences and publish in peer-reviewed journals.
- Train and supervise students/staff in handling hardware and software tools.
- Ph.D. in neuroscience, physics, math, or other related fields.
- Excellent programming skills in MATLAB, Python and C# with experience in signal processing.
- Strong understanding of experimental design and statistical analysis e.g. R.
- Some engineering skills with experience in electronics, computer hardware and IoT.
- Excellent communication skills (writing and verbal) in English.
- Experience with gaming engine and software such as Unity and Blender is highly desirable.
- Experience with machine learning is desirable.
- Experience handling rodents would be a plus.