Postdoctoral Fellow - Neurogenetics
Posted 28 Jul 2020
Van Andel Institute
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Please send a cover letter outlining research experience and interests, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of three references, to Dr. Rita Guerreiro (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Dr.José Brás (email@example.com).
The Van Andel Institute is looking for a highly motivated and collaborative postdoctoral fellow to work on a project being developed by the laboratories of Drs. Rita Guerreiro and José Brás, in the Center for Neurodegenerative Science at the Van Andel Institute.
The position is available for an ambitious scientist to use or establish genome-wide genomic analyses methods to identify novel genes and variants associated with Alzheimer's disease and dementia. The laboratories employ a multidisciplinary and collaborative approach to the study of familial and sporadic neurodegenerative diseases, and have large collections of samples and genomic data for different neurological diseases. The successful candidate will use these data to identify causative mutations and variants associated with disease risk that may be new targets for the development of drugs for Alzheimer's disease and associated disorders.
This particular project reaquires analysis of genetics data, e.g. GWAS and WES/WGS; RNA-Seq and scRNA-Seq; "omics" data integration; interpretation of results from genetic data analyses; post-GWAS analyses (variant to function); big data integration; and data mining approaches for genetics and genomics.
- A recent Ph.D. graduate with demonstrated experience in any of the following fields: neurogenetics, genetics, genomics, bioinformatics and/or computational biology. At least one publication in one of these fields would be desirable.
- A preferred candidate will have experience in any of the following research areas/methodologies: GWAS; Exome sequencing; Genome sequencing; Mendelian genetic analyses; single cell sequencing; molecular/cellular neurobiology.
Description of a Successful Candidate:
- A self-motivated and driven individual who is able to exhibit exceptional research productivity and take responsibility for independent management of a project.
- A detail-oriented researcher who still keeps a clear grasp of the big picture.
- A team player who proactively shares knowledge and expertise with lab members.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.