Postbac Research Assistant
Posted 26 Sep 2018
The University of Alabama at Birmingham
This is an outstanding postbac opportunity for an individual highly motivated to experience cutting-edge biomedical research prior to entering a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. program. This is a position for a research assistant in a neuroscience lab and a project focused on mechanisms of cognitive resilience against Alzheimer’s disease. The researcher will conduct innovative high-resolution brightfield microscopy on hundreds of human brain tissue samples and perform three-dimensional digital modeling of neuronal morphology and dendritic morphometry analyses. The researcher will be expected to organize and manage large sums of data as well as participate in other lab work, including biochemical assays, confocal imaging, immunohistochemistry, tissue slicing, etc. The position will offer opportunities to present data at national conferences.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in biological sciences.
- High self-motivation and desire to make an impact.
- Must be organized, mature, and responsible.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding computer skills. Familiarity with Excel is required.
- Familiarity with performing basic laboratory procedures, including microscopy, biochemistry, and molecular biology.