Genomics Core Associate
Posted 04 Jun 2019
Van Andel Institute
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply at http://bit.ly/Genomics-VARI. Applications should include:
- A cover letter highlighting key qualifications.
- Current curriculum vitae with complete bibliography.
- Names and contact information of three references.
The genomics core associate's primary responsibility will be to provide VARI scientists with high quality next-generation sequencing data. As a key individual in the core, the associate must demonstrate the ability to perform and acquire new skills in the operation of Illumina technologies (NextSeq500, NovaSeq6000, and iScan), NGS library preparation, and other relevant genomic techniques. The associate will be responsible for supporting daily operations, including but not limited to evaluating sample quality and preparing samples for sequencing, executing protocols, running and maintaining sophisticated equipment, logging and tracking samples, training new users, and other general duties. He or she must be able to work effectively in a team environment and develop productive relationships with Core users.
The genomics core is a rapidly growing team within VAI. This job might be right for you if:
- You are interested in helping to build a sustainable team dedicated to advancing scientific knowledge and providing top quality customer service.
- You are technology-minded and interested in high throughput automation and sequencing instrumentation.
- You love taking on difficult challenges and finding the best solution whether it be tried-and-true or cutting edge.
- You enjoy helping others, and you are patient and levelheaded.
- You pay attention to detail.
- You are motivated and driven. You take ownership of your projects. You like learning new things and advancing your skillset. If you don’t know the answer, you’ll dig until you find it.
- You enjoy collaborating and working as a team. You respect the skills each team member brings to the table while still being willing to provide constructive criticism.
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer.
- A bachelor’s degree in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or similar field.
- Hands-on experience in DNA/RNA extraction, nucleic acid quantification, PCR amplification, qPCR, and/or similar molecular biology techniques and protocols.
- Understanding of cellular and molecular biology and/or genetics.
- Ability to effectively communicate in-person and remotely.
Additional helpful experience includes:
- Demonstrable skills in NGS library preparation, Illumina sequencing technology, GWAS and/or microarrays.
- Experience in functional areas as single cell sequencing or bisulfite based methodologies.