Director/Senior Director: Neurodegenerative Research
Posted 18 May 2020
Biogen is seeking a highly motivated leader with a passion for drug discovery and translational research. The successful candidate will lead a group of five to eight research scientists and will have the primary responsibility of progressing Biogen’s existing ApoE programs and for developing new ApoE-based programs. The appointee will have a track record of accomplishment. Excellent strategic thinking, communication and collaboration skills are essential.
- Lead Biogen’s ApoE-focused research.
- Contribute to related programs on neuroinflammation.
- Create and manage a high-performing cross-disciplinary group and mentor and manage employees with diverse development needs.
- Provide rigorous, objective information and recommendations to Biogen’s internal governance bodies to support strategic project decisions.
- Actively contribute to key collaborations with industrial partners.
- Build strong partnerships with external collaborators by identifying potential academic partners to accelerate programs.
- Assess external opportunities for in-licensing and/or partnerships.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Biogen’s neurodegeneration portfolio.
- Serve on the leadership team of the Neurodegenerative Disease Research Unit.
- Ph.D. in a neuroscience/pharmacology or related discipline.
- Deep expertise in ApoE biology and the role of ApoE in neurodegeneration.
- Extensive experience of the use of preclinical neuroscience models.
- Experience in a matrix-based drug discovery setting is preferred.
- Evidence of high-impact published research in translational neuroscience.
- Experience identifying and managing qualified external vendors.
- Excellent influencing skills and leading in a highly matrixed environment. Able to prioritize and allocate resources with agility to meet R&D goals.