Blocking calcium-dependent protease normalizes lifespan in mouse tauopathy model.
In a large retrospective study, people with the highest plasma levels of an inflammatory protein experienced the greatest decline in reasoning abilities over the next 10 years.
Allosteric γ-secretase modulator binds an extracellular pocket on presenilin, changing the active site.
Aβ aggregates can assume a variety of structures that appear to have unique properties.
Could astrocyte neurotransmission explain memory loss in Alzheimer's disease?
Antipsychotic medications repurposed to accelerate autophagy might prevent cellular toxicity associated with mutant TDP-43.
An award-winning film follows a social worker set on bringing music to people with dementia, and documents their unforgettable moments of awakening.
Researchers retract two papers that claimed a quick dunk in acid turns mature mouse lymphocytes into pluripotent cells.
After a number of trials suggested that supplements were ineffective in preventing chronic disease, researchers started asking whether the combination of healthy foods in a nutritious diet did a better job. To answer that question, AlzRisk, the database of epidemiological studies on risk factors for Alzheimer’s disease, examined the relationship between dietary pattern and dementia. Evaluation of the seven studies that met AlzRisk’s inclusion criteria supports the general idea that diets high in fruits and vegetables and low in red or processed meats—the Mediterranean diet, for example—reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia. AlzRisk curators conclude that benefits could stem from lowering cardiovascular risk, obesity, diabetes, reactive oxygen species, and inflammation. Check out the full entry and analysis on AlzRisk.
- Rodney Guttmann on Specific Calpain Inhibition by Calpastatin Prevents Tauopathy and Neurodegeneration and Restores Normal Lifespan in Tau P301L Mice.
- Peter Davies on Specific Calpain Inhibition by Calpastatin Prevents Tauopathy and Neurodegeneration and Restores Normal Lifespan in Tau P301L Mice.
- Bart De Strooper and Lucia Chavez-Gutierrez on Scientists Pinpoint γ-Secretase Modulator Binding Spot
- Lary Walker on More Evidence Ties Aβ Strains to Distinct Pathologies
- Jemeen Sreedharan on Autophagy induction enhances TDP43 turnover and survival in neuronal ALS models.
- Meghan Mitchell on A Life of Cognitive Enrichment May Fend Off Dementia. But How?
- Seth Masters on Inflammasomes Spread from Cell to Cell